PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone here work at The Shuttleworth Collection?
Old 20th Jan 2018, 20:32
dsc810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xrayalpha
But the great advantage you have over all the others - who will still be sending over emails - is you have come on here and got some advice.

ps. Later on in life, when romance starts to enter, you'll find emails, texts and telephone answering machines are great when it comes to breaking up! That's also why they are useless for getting jobs. Too remote.

ps Above means unsolicited emails etc. Obviously, some companies now only take formal applications via electronic means.
Perhaps I used to work in a much more structured industry with much more rigorous procedures both in terms of recruitment and in supplier purchasing.

But this sort of semi-cold calling would get you nowhere.
In fact it might actually get you worse so to speak in a negative sense.
If we wanted people we would advertise for them.
If we did not then we would not.
The endless letters/calls whatever from individual and from recruitment agencies/head hunters all telling us how wonderful they of their candidate were were all totally pointless.
They would all end up in the bin/not interested reply regardless.
The recruitment industry seemed unable to understand we did not have positions mysteriously left open ready for the possibility of a suitable candidate to appear from the woodwork one day.

The same applied to bids. I keep on hearing how important it is to personally follow up your bid and how meetings to discuss your bid are so important as "people sell to people".
Not in my industry they did not.
We bought according to umpteen rigorously applied factors including a financial risk assessment of the suppliers - and their salesmen wanting to meet up to "discuss" their bid was view as akin to an attempt to pervert the procurement processes.