PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Temperatures can you get in Cargo Holds?
Old 20th Jan 2018, 19:06
Grizzlly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting, thank you very much for the info. An education. Its fully, all the shippers and freight forwarders give you answers that they think you want to hear, what you have to do is ask the people who are actually the ones in control....

For paintings, or sculpture, its not so much the 'good' temperature is, more trying to avoid quick fluctuations in temperatures or humidity (or both). Paintings/sculptures are made of different materials, acrylic, oil etc and these contract and expand at different speeds to the wooden stretchers they are on. In extreme cases this can cause cracking and the paint to fall off. Not good in a high value shipment...

So.... my questions are:

On the average common cargo route i.e Schiphol - NY, what percentage of aircraft are old eg 757Sf vs a modern 767?
Do cargo pilots leave temp control off? Or turn it off? If so, why?
When you say a range of 4-29C or 2-30Cm do the pilot choose/select this temperature (I understand on aircraft with NOTOC they can and do select a zone to control), but when this doesn't occur do you just spin the dial? Or does it depend on where you are taking off / landing etc?

There is so much art flying about that often freight forwarders will not put it on the NOTOC list as the cost of the shipment goes up...

Many thanks for your help.