PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Times details proposed UK defence cut options
Old 20th Jan 2018, 15:09
Frostchamber

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Going back to the 50 yr life of the carriers, it would be interesting to see how many of our assets actually reached their designed lives, Jaguar didn't and neither did Harrier..
I'd say it varies widely. As far as ships go, Ocean is leaving on schedule and the Invincibles broadly made it to their designed 30 years. The type 23 frigates are set to soldier on (if that can be said of a ship) well past theirs. Going back in time some went quite quickly. ISTR the County class destroyers had fairly short service lives, not helped by some built in obsolescence. Tornado must have crossed the line fairly comfortably. Re Jaguar, I don't know what its design life was but deliveries started in 1973 and I think the last sqn disbanded in 2007, which doesn't seem too bad, although its withdrawal was brought forward compared to then-existing plans. Nuclear subs have tended to reach theirs, while I think the Javelin managed about 12 years on the front line.

Last edited by Frostchamber; 20th Jan 2018 at 15:27.