PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter FlightSims
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2003, 19:59
2 sheds

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chaps

Sorry if I appeared to be touchy! But to suggest in this particular context that "duff instructors" could be blamed, I thought was inappropriate, shall we say. 1261, thank you for your clarification.

One could blame insufficient exposure to different callsigns in the design of simulator exercises perhaps or insufficient attention by the trainee to the detail in the MATS Part 1. However, all trainees have that document in their possession, though I believe that it is no longer a personal "for life" issue, which I think is a retrograde step.

I do not think that inclusion of every type of callsign in exercises would necessarily be useful. That would mean an over-emphasis on that aspect, almost certainly to the detriment of the ATC techniques being practised and would also have to include military styles of callsigns along with their respective varying abbreviation criteria. Unfortunately, the first time that trainee ATCOs are currently exposed to practical RTF training is concurrent with the first Rating (Aerodrome) training.

When both the flying training was done more thoroughly and an RTF licence was required to operate the aircraft radio equipment, this area was necessarily addressed in more detail. I think that it would be far more appropriate if a specific RTF licence were required - as, indeed, it was at one time - before the issue of a Student ATCO licence.

However, as you might be aware, the structure of the training courses is changing w.e.f. 2004 and the first rating course will be preceded by a generic "Introductory" Course. This will necessarily include basic, non rating-specific RTF training and this will present a prime opportunity for aspects such as this to be addressed in more detail.

2 S