PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2018, 07:51
Lee Baker Street

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixed departure routes?

Since I can remember, when LHR easterly departures occur, the aircraft fly low over Elstree and Borehamwood and once they reach Radlett the engines power are increased as they begin their climb over St Albans and Harpenden. Luton has always been blamed for Heathrows jumbo jet traffic. However, if the airport does get approval for further growth, can westerly departures not be split? As we all know current departures all immediately turn left as they climb out over south Luton. But why not trial some turning 'immediately' right on departure (I have seen several dozen such departures over the years due to weather) and am not aware of any complaints when this has happened. In effect, and although I dispute Harpenden residents complaining of 'very loud' engine noise overhead caused by LTN, at least by dividing up the departure route, there might not have to be any further increase in aircraft flying over the 'tiny' hamlet (consisting of about 40 homes) situated between Harpenden and St Albans as the airport grows?