PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIC during checkout
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2018, 18:06
Ebbie 2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello one and all

Yes, using the US CFI "certified flight instructor" - it is a US registered airplane, just needs to be a CFI from any ICAO country.

The requirement is not specified - it is not a "flight review" is it simply to have it confirmed that the person being checked out can fly the airplane safely; a quick 30-minute flight.

Now the reason for asking - those who have followed my semi-amusing tales of fly out here will maybe recall I mentioned a CFI who managed to have an off field landing when the engine quite on base (yes I know!)

Following this the civil aviation authority here issued him a letter banning him from flying in Barbados airspace - that was two and a half years ago! He is a FAA CFI, Major in the US Civil Air Patrol, rated up the wazoo as they say - in BFR and with his medical etc. so can fly instruct anywhere else on the planet just not here so they say - just too risky to have him be PIC in Barbados airspace. If he is not PIC he can give people the OK here - hence the question - otherwise it is a case of flying out of Barbados airspace. That gets complicated due to the size of everyone involved and places with fuel - as it happens the airplane has about 38 USG in it right now so I'd need to fly it around for two and a half hours or more to burn off a chunk of it to be good for W&B and then the fuel to get back issue. Those, again, who have read my stuff will recall the when it went to the US for a respray the paint etc. added 80lbs + to the empty weight.

So maybe here's a question - when one rents in the UK and go for the flight before renting - is one PIC or is one "receiving instruction"? To stretch the point when I did my US check ride to get my license (a full on FAA not a piggy-back") I did not have a licence but I was PIC; so hence the confusion.