PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH 122 Syd KL diverted to Alice Springs due to "Technical Issues"
Old 19th Jan 2018, 11:05
rob_ginger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Descent Procedure

Some technical questions - I see from the flightaware plot in post 2 and the altitude plot in post 63 that the aircraft did a 180 degree turn, and descended from 10,000m to around 7,000m. Is the 180 turn (to get out of the way of other aircraft,as I understand it) a Malaysian SOP, or is it pretty universal world wide? And what's the approximate OEI ceiling for an A330 - obviously depends on gross weight, etc.. (I already know the A330 ceiling with two engines out ).

And from the linked ATC audio I thought I heard a request for a "high speed descent" - is that usual? No criticism intended - just interested in the technical details.

BTW, my personal experience affirms that engine failures/shutdowns in flight are very rare. I've done a lot of flying to Asia and Europe over the years, and the only engine shutdown I can remember was on a BA Bristol Britannia. (I bet there's not many people reading can say they've flown in a Britannia!).