PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MH 122 Syd KL diverted to Alice Springs due to "Technical Issues"
Old 18th Jan 2018, 12:55
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

Should be on all command courses. I found there was so little guidance of suitable PA's in NNC's. Given the young age of some who might have to make one..........some help to keep the situation calm 'back there' IMHO is most welcome.

I'm not familiar with this region, or the airports they chose, but, as a generalism, the closest suitable may not be the nearest; in that, by the time you've completed your analysis, executed a checklist or 2, decided where to go reference weather and facilities and LDA, dug out the charts, planned the descent & approach, briefed all who need to be, you might have used up more time than a normal 20-25 minute descent. I hear some people say that you should drop into the airfield nearest underneath you, but if you do and then spend 10 mins holding, to finish up, you could have gone further to a more familiar/convenient/suitable airport with a full defence in place: it might even be your departure airport.