PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2018, 11:14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come full circle or are going round in circles?

There is nothing...nothing difficult about repairing a glassfibre aircraft. It is cloth and resin. Repairing it so the repair is invisible...no more technically difficult but requires craftsmanship, just like with any hands-on job.

Have you ever worked on a GRP glider?

I mentioned before that I’ve watched a few guys repair a rather large hole in an ASW19 wing (it hit a fence post on landing) overnight, on the grid for the next day’s race at 7am the next morning. They knew what they were doing. Why would you let anyone else other than someone who knows what they are doing repair an aircraft anyway? There is NO shortage of excellent GRP repair facilities in the UK.

Alas Syerston is not one of them.

Originally Posted by Olympia 463
All of the above points to the folly of buying these glass ships which if not 'fragile' are hard to restore to original condition when broken. To have to write off a glider costing tens of thousands because the tail boom cannot be fixed is ridiculous.

Hands up any one who has seen this kind of nonsense with a K13 or equivalent (if so name your two seater). I've never even seen a K13 with a broken off tail.

Seems I have come full circle on this thread.