PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2018, 01:49
ViPER_81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgenie
It's not only training accessibility, which is problematic., it was never easy anyway. The biggest problem is a gap between end-of-training experience and the expected hireable experience. In the past this gap was closeable with GA operations. Now it is far harder for the newly trained pilots to get to the point where they become sufficiently experienced for larger operations.

and that's the crux of the problem.

Everyone says "just head up north", but how many GA operations actually exist "up north" that actually take fresh CPL's?

I've seen it a bunch of times on this forum, fresh CPL's ask for info about going north and get a response of "just google it" or "get off your computer and go there and find out for yourself", but does this really help anyone?

Their seems to be an attitude of "In my time I just did X and it worked out for me so you have to do that too", but what does that achieve?

The fresh CPL's don't want to be handed a job as a lot of people claim. The more experienced people shouldn't be actively discouraging people from starting an aviation career though.