PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian-2
Thread: Norwegian-2
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2018, 23:21
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing is for certain, Norwegian try to develope the industry, not preserve it like some of the dinosaurs
Not develop, disrupt. Nothing wrong there it’s classic marketing. They alienate me with their Ryanair like approach to staffing which in fairness has been reigned in somewhat. Their smug anticipation that SAS would go bust with a shove from them I found hubristic. The notion they’d swoop in and fill the gap with a new fleet and sweep up experienced staff to work for way less make me look at them like the little vultures they are. Except dinosaur SAS didn’t fail and DY/DU/D8/DI etc have an enormous amount of aircraft they now need to fly which is EXACTLY why they thought they could make money flying EDI-BDL in December. I love a good upstart, used to love Branson but at the end of they day they’re just a business trying to make themselves a was of money. I’ve got a D8 booking and a 789 booking coming up, I am sure they’ll be great, but am not a fan boy of this sort of capitalism any more than SRB or WW.
Bottom line Norwegian’s expansion looks like a bubble that may go pop very quickly in the next downturn but that’s just my view. Launching the unprecedented volume of seats to the US in winter is just desperation IMHO. Even from a strategic view, they serve NYC out of JFK on a wide body and SWF on a narrow body. Argentina being launched, DY static, D8 getting smaller at LGW and long haul growing aggresively. i.e. retracting in mature markets where one would be expecting good numbers by now in favour of launching ventures in long haul. Am Scottish, glass half empty comes easily