PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Switching between Part-FCL LAPL/PPL
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2018, 22:04
CrazyScientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching between Part-FCL LAPL/PPL

Hello

I currently hold an EASA Part-FCL PPL, but due to various issues my Class 2 medical has been suspended.

This has left me in quite a dire situation as I was in the middle of my hour building towards the prerequisites for the CPL/IR and I've got the expiry of my ATPL exam passes coming up in August.

I'm going through the CAA's painfully slow appeals process at the moment, but to avoid wasting time I am looking into the possibility of getting LAPL medical certification so that I can at least continue to build hours while waiting for the outcome. That way, if I am successful, I can jump straight into the IR then CPL (as I will likely have built a sufficient number of hours if I can get at least LAPL medical certification).

I understand that unlike holding a CPL with Class 2 certification (where I assume I can just use it as a PPL), I can't hold an EASA PPL with only LAPL medical certification and just use privileges of the corresponding license (LAPL). I also understand I can't hold more than one airplane license.

So as far as I can tell in order to use a LAPL I would need to give up my PPL and apply for a LAPL, then, on regaining certification, surrender my LAPL and apply for a PPL again so I can start the IR.

Does anyone have experience with this process?

My main concern is the length of time the process takes. As I have to give up one license when I apply for the other, I'm assuming I'll be grounded the entire time the application sits in the CAA assessor's inbox (both times)?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

CS.