PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NO DUFF - QFI jobs in Qatar. Interviews 28th Jan in UK
Old 17th Jan 2018, 10:17
rockape2k7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WASALOADIE
Qatar isn't the best place to work. They will promise you the earth and it's very easy to be swayed by the promise of high salaries and good living.
Agreed but it is certainly not the worst! My take on a few of your points...

The ex-pat lifestyle can be brilliant, however beware: They can turn contracts off quicker than they award them, same day in some cases.
They can and do. But so do UK companies. Unlike in the mob, you are always on 1/2/3 months notice. That's commercial life. The Worker Protection Scheme (WPS) provides for a very generous 'pay off' if your contract is terminated. Amongst other things... see below.

To leave Qatar, on termination, for holidays or whatever reason, you require to have an exit visa. To get this, your sponsor (company) must grant permission. It used to be that your company had to request the exit visa, this has changed now so that you may request one, but your company still has to grant permission. If they dont give it, then you're stuck.
Most reputable companies apply for a multi-entry/exit Visa for you and pay for it. I have one and can come and go as I please. My wife has to apply for single entry/exit visas from her sponsoring company. Not because they are not reputable (a British School out here) but because they have thousands of employees and single exit visas are pennies compared to multi exit visas. Its cost normally that drives the company policy

they held me for nearly 4 months before finally granting my exit visa. The embassy are powerless to help and wont get involved for the fear of upsetting the Qatari's.
Poor drills on your ex-company's behalf. Can't comment on the Embassy's interest.

They will stop your pay, take away your allowances, and rob you blind. Life is worthless to them and you're basically just hired help. They have access to monitoring equipment and will spy on you (they say that Qatar has the most sophisticated surveillance system going with more equipment per square mile than London). I took the step of taking the battery out of my phone so that it couldnt be traced as I was sure they were watching my every move. Within 30 minutes, the company were driving slowly past my villa to see if I was still there.
Something was not right I suspect if you felt like that. I am completely free to do and go and talk to whoever as long as I don't rub up against 'cultural norms'.

You have used 'they' a lot and I'm going to assume you refer to your employer. As the Qatari's rarely directly interface with ex-pat employees. What they did was illegal and the WPS is now strictly enforced. Non-payment of wages is a very big no-no... World Cup reputation and all that.

Some of the other guys that were on the same contract as me, decided that they weren't going to get burned like me, and "went on holiday" to Bahrain, clearing their bank accounts of as much as they could whilst in the departure lounge and emailing their resignation letters when in Bahrain waiting for their flights back to the UK / US, they still lost a lot of money.
Sounds again like things had gone sour in your company. Of all the Brit expats I have met out here, only 1 has had to 'do one'. And he was working in construction for a small 'asian' construction firm.

you will become trapped, "suckered in" and before long you will tire of it.
Must have been an awful feeling. I have not felt like that once in 3+ years and I am not alone!

The weather is awesome. The ex-pat lifestyle can also be awesome, but when the Friday brunches become a habit then the novelty wears off. The oppressive heat in the summer ceases to be enjoyable. The problems being remotely located away from your friends and relatives becomes a problem. If you like a drop of booze then you can only buy alcohol and pork products from 1 outlet (Qatar distribution company) and need a permit via a letter of authority from your sponsor. You can buy booze for consumption at hotels, normally where they have ex-pat brunches.
All agreed. Booze is also available at other places. It is a bit less prescriptive than that... the Rugby Club for example.

cannot leave the country owing any money. They encourage you to spend your money in country so the money stays in country, they dont like you sending large sums back. Shopping is one of their pastimes along with eating!
Clearing your debt is true if you want to receive your 'final salary payment' (gratuity)... But you can save and send 'off shore' as much wedge as you like. There is a daily limit but you'd be ridiculously well off to use that every day!

Your point about RTAs is correct. Been there done that!

And I'm not sure that the UAE or Bahrain are that different...

Horses for courses, eh!