PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan Operations Wing at Waddington
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2018, 09:45
nickc1964

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by middlesbrough
Nick, I was a young Pilot Officer going through navigation training at RAF Hullavington(Chippenham) in 1964/5. Your father was one of several Master Pilots who flew the Varsities and Valettas. I obviously didn't know him personally, they were like Gods to us junior students, but he was the pilot on several Varsity sorties I flew on. One night astro in December 1964 and a trip to Gibraltar out on the 5th Feb and back on the 8th 1965, and several navigation sorties after I had graduated and was waiting to go to RAF St Mawgan to convert to the Shackleton.
Your father and his fellow pilots were an essential and valuable part of the training of us ab initio navs.
So glad he went on to have a successful time at Waddington and that his service was recognised by the award of the MBE.
Best wishes
Mike Walker
Thanks Mike - Yup that was him, we lived in one of the houses that overlooks the airfield, or so I have been told. I was too young to know. I have all his log books so I'll have a look at dates around that time tonight to see if you're listed

Apologies if my replies are a bit scattered, but I'm at work and as I've only recently registered my replies have to be sanity checked by a moderator