PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Times details proposed UK defence cut options
Old 16th Jan 2018, 20:39
langleybaston

Received 718 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by jindabyne
I'd like to see your opinion Langley ----
You did ask, and I write as an 80 year old patriot ex MoD scientist who has seen a lot and seen a lot of b*llocks in my time. None of what follows may be feasible or wise, just an opinion from the reasonably informed non-expert.

I can deal quickly with the old set:

Support the civil power in Great Britain is the only survivor, and should be capable of being taken as read.

Decide if we keep Falklands, Gibraltar, SBAs Cyprus etc IN THE LONG TERM and base RAF transport requirements on that, and no further.

Prioritise air defence UK and ground support NATO. RAF to concentrate on Chinook

Provide one all-arms division to support NATO; light forces para, marines to scale to support maintenance of Falklands etc. Army to maintain Apache.

Navy to scrap carriers, maintain 4 missile boats and 8 hunter killers, RAF to provide top cover when leaving/ joining. Navy to have mixed fleet frigates and smaller only.

Maximum effort on cyber warfare.

Bring back outsourced services such as maintenance, catering into MoD

Forget all the equality nonsense, it will happen by a natural osmosis process rather than PC straining.