PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2018, 17:27
DB777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All, been actively trying not to engage with this thread from when I last deeply considered it all a few years back. Glad to hear that the Modular route *might* be making a come back.

It was a post by G SXTY about his first interview / offer that helped carry me through the industry doom back in 2009/10 (can't find it now) – that kept the fire burning for me then but with a young family and the recessional risks that prevailed I just couldn't justify it then. The obsession/ambition still consumes me everyday. I've been lingering on the less positive airline threads from seasoned flyers in PPRuNe Worldwide to help discourage me from embarking on this all again, which has been working until strayed over here!

I'm closer to 40 now with 3 young'ns, all at p-school (though they're old enough to know that a family day out watching the fun on 27R from the Thistle is 'uncool'). The 150-ish hour PPL is now invalid – I want to get back up the Club every day but is hour-building (once revalidated), with a view of building on my license 'organically' and locally even worth it? Would a Modular route through one of the notable schools – BCFT was always recommended to me back then – give me a fighting chance?

I'm self-employed with the usual trappings so i've only ever been drip-feeding the flying pot as and when cash-flow has permitted, so full upfront funds to a school is a major risk. I still have my Class 1 medical so that's one box ticked, though due to being a sole trader for 15 odd years I have no actual employment history and no recent/credible qualifications that measure up against the younger crowd.

Almost convinced myself back out of it having written all this now