PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtours C404 crash report
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2001, 03:26
Puritan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W.r.t. 'sudden chop of the throttle' type engine failures we've all had during training / testing.

Many (many, many) moons ago when I was doing my MultiEngine rating, and during a cruise phase of flight, my learned instructor reached down between the seats of our Seneca and (unbeknown to me) turned off one of the fuel taps.

My subsequent reactions to what happened next where almost laughable, as the fuel starved engine coughed, spluttered, and surged its way towards stopping. My inexperienced feet were doing a veritable tango on the rudder pedals (making it worse), i.e. with the aircraft yawing about all over the place, plus the engine gauges bouncing up and down like whores-draws (there was a clue there somewhere, duh), I didn't have any bloody idea as to which engine had failed - and this was made all the worse by my instructor (simulating) total panic at what was going on.

It took (what seemed) ages before I was positively able to identify which engine was having the problem.

Yep, I (very thankfully) learnt a serious lesson from that about the insideous engine failure case, and how important it is to properly identify just what is the real problem, i.e. don't rush the drill.

That said, being in the cruise, with the luxury of time (or even from an armchair, with a beer alongside ) it's all very obvious, but in a heavy aircraft on takeoff, and one with crap s/e performance.......... uhm ? no thanks !