PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan Operations Wing at Waddington
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2018, 11:28
nickc1964

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vulcan Operations Wing at Waddington

Hi All,

I'm not military myself but my father was Master Pilot Eric Culpin who worked in Vulcan Operations Wing (the section not flying) from 1972 to around 1975 and he died in 1988. We lived on the base at Waddington, my dad often mentioned "TACEVAL" and when the sirens sounded off he went for several days.

My dad reported to Bob Hall who according to this message board sadly died in 2007 but they kept in touch after my Dad retired until we went to Australia for 6 years.

In the 1975 Queens New Years Honours List my dad was awarded the MBE which I believe was proposed by Bob Hall for the work done whilst in Vulcan Operations.

I wasn't old enough at the time to appreciate where my dad was working but I'd like to know now what he did. And what must he have done to deserve the MBE? If you do a good job you get a pat on the back and a "well done" but to get the MBE? Of course Bob Hall is not now here to ask

I was looking at getting his service record which I believe I can do as it's 25+ years since his death but it's going to cost me, and my mum will need to find his death certificate but I don't know whether that will tell me what tell me what his role was. And will that give any details of what he did that was "above and beyond"?

So any help, suggestions or ideas will be gratefully received.

Thanks