PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus procedure : ask clearance before emergency descent ?
Old 16th Jan 2018, 05:52
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Setting TA only is not part of the Airbus emergency descent checklist

Really? Not sure what it has to do with type. It is an airmanship and ATC matter, not type related. Years ago, about 2009, there was Eurocontrol bulletin, I think #9, highlighting this issue. I brought it to the attention of my Boeing operator. It did not appear in the Boeing or company checklist. It took a while for 'the eyes to open' and for them to understand, but it did eventually arrive into the checklist. Eurocontrol's advice was that anything which compromised the normal performance capabilities of the a/c should result in electing TA only. At the time the only B737 checklist that did this was an engine shutdown; and even then it was No.9 on the checklist, i.e. a long way down the checklist. In the sim I watched crew take a long time to reach and action this item. Given that all the engine failure scenarios were conducted at low level and the check list actioned in level flight, there was never a problem. Hence, perhaps, a lack of appreciation to the consequence in the real world. Now imagine an engine failure at cruise level and a descent required. As always ANC. To protect the a/c and organise the descent will take priority, then the checklist will be actioned possibly during the descent, unless a drift down delays the descent. Thus the a/c can be descending quite a few 000' below cruise before TA Only is selected. Not a good time to have an RA with which you can not comply.