PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtours C404 crash report
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2001, 13:54
Hudson

Kiltie.

I tend to differ with your opinion. I doubt if there can be any valid operational excuse for run-ups on the run, or a quickie feather check and quickie mag check at the hold. It is short cuts that kill people. If the ccompany cannot afford the time and money to operate the aircraft as per manufacturer's recommendations (and that includes a proper engine check as per POH) then they should not be in business.

Believe me, the short cuts which you state that there is nothing wrong with, would see you crucified in a court of inquiry and worse still in a court of law - if they resulted in an accident.

Quote from your post:
Personally I see no fault with run-ups "on the move", so long as the full engine checks were performed on the first flight of the day. I don't know if this aircraft had flown previous to that of the accident flight on the same day, but if I was carrying passengers I would be inclined to abbreviate the run ups to a simple mag check and quick feather excercising at the holding point without undue "revving". This is commonplace in the charter environment and not inherently an unsafe corner-cutting measure.
Unquote.

I hope for your sake that you never have a prang where your words could come back to haunt you. No offence met, old chap - and I really mean that. But so many accidents have been caused by short cuts rationalised in the name of legitimate cost savings.

"This is commonplace in the charter environment" is a clear indictment of the GA industry.

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: Hudson ]