PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtours C404 crash report
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2001, 01:00
GlueBall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

It was mentioned a number of times now that during a C404 max weight takeoff/inital climb engine failure the engine must be feathered without delay....

I haven't flown the geared engine C404, but many moons ago I flew its smaller cousin, the C402C. Yes, I've had an engine failure with 9 pax and baggage during climb out at about 1,300 feet or so. The very first indication was a change in engine sound, followed by heading drift (yaw) corrected with gradual rudder and a slight push on the yoke to stop the climb. That was done instinctively. But because of fear and embarrassment of shutting down the wrong engine, I hesitated momentarily and glanced at the dual RPM needles and either the CHT or EGT, and it was clear that one side was less than the other. So, it wasn't until a good 5 seconds had passed before I pulled the throttle back, then waited another second before pulling the prop into feather.

My point is that the airplane has enough speed and inertia to give any pilot 6 seconds to think, identify and feather the bad engine.

Especially in IMC, engine failure sounds and airplane feel can play tricks on the pilot's mind, therefore it's imperative to also look at the engine instuments before making hurried and soley instinctive reactions.