PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane down Overbury, Tewkesbury.
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 23:04
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no more knowledge than anyone else on how this particular accident happened, but can’t help wonder if weather related CFIT in general needs to be addressed differently in the primary training syllabus. It’s been a while since I sat my PPL but IIRC the focus on how to execute an off field landing including glide distance, checklists etc was always taught as a response primarily or indeed solely to “if your engine quits” why is “if you get in over your head and are scud running “ not taught as having equally weight as a reason for emergency off field landing? This “must get back to a tar runway or home base” thought process is killing people. It should be drummed into students that when things get dodgy the minute you decide to pull the power you are no longer flying a local club or syndicate aircraft but instead are operating a piece of equipment that’s just been purchased by a large financial services company who have tasked you with getting it on the ground uninjured and have provided you with some sacrificial hardware such as wings and landing gear to be used to arrest your speed once on the deck. Most sub 1 ton gross weight spamcans stall out at around 50mph so your chances of surviving (very possibly uninjured) even if you completely mince the airplane are high, not so for a scud running CFIT.