PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaning for Best Power?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 22:59
thepilotadvisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leaning for Best Power?

The other day I flew in and around the Vic / NSW mountain range. Quite a bit different from the majority of flying I've done as a PPL since obtaining my licence only a few years ago.

As part of this trip I did a stop and go at Mt Hotham (elevation circa 4,300'). Even though this question has occurred to me before, it wasn't until I did the takeoff at Mt Hotham that I truly wondered that perhaps I have missed something in my training.

As I took off to the north west the terrain gently climbs. I was pretty light with half fuel and only 2 pax in a 180hp cessna 172. I realise I was at 4,300' to begin with and density altitude was closer to 6 - 6.5k feet, although was surprised about the climb performance.

So I have two questions I'm hoping some of you very experienced guys / girls out there can help me with:

1) I assume that I should have tested for max power before taking off - by applying full power and leaning until best power is indicated?

2) Assuming the answer to 1 is yes, then when climbing I was always taught to full rich, full power and climb to desired level then power back (if appropriate based on height) then lean. If it makes sense to lean at say a takeoff at a density altitude 6,000', should I be leaning as I climb above 5,000 ft (up to max 10,000' VFR limit)?

Thanks for your help.