PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtours C404 crash report
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2001, 15:10
pterodactyl

Primitive Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Hudson has a point about the run up on the move. Elsewhere in the report it is mentioned that the Captain had a significant financial interest in the operation. This could suggest that the Captain also may have wanted to "save the engine" and in so doing acted more in haste than certainty. There have been many such instances of this previously where loss of the airframe and it's occupants ensued.
Gaunty's point is well made as to the adequacy of certification standards for this class of aircraft and the paucity of performance in the failure case.
But I have to say a "bang" does not a failure make and although the impression of witnesses is that it came from the right it is far from certain that this was correct. I have experienced bangs, backfires and the like on occasion and quite often both crew members were not able to identify from which engine it came.
As has been pointed out foot pressure is the primary method of identification and until there is a LOT of rudder input required it should not be assumed that complete failure has occurred. Bearing in mind the critical engine out performance in the failure case any usable power should be utilised until a more definite failure indication is evident. Continue to fly the aeroplane. On the other hand if there is a LOT of rudder input required at an early stage indicating power loss and a possibly windmilling prop then it is essential that positive identification and a TIMELY shut down be accomplished.
Time is critical but not so critical that the procedure is rushed. By that I mean that as each procedural step is actioned it's effect should be noted. The first item for instance after identification is to retard the throttle. At that point; did the yaw increase, stay the same, or reduce? If it increased markedly then there was significant power still being delivered which could be used if the situation warrants it. If the yaw is substantially the same then a complete power loss on that engine is indicated and proceed on with the next item. On the other hand if yaw REDUCED you have the WRONG one! Put it back up! Remember fly the aeroplane, maintain the correct speed even if losing height to maintain control if the worst happens rather than stall as seems likely in this case. Don't think VMCA was a factor with no power from either engine.
You may say that there is not ENOUGH time for all this...well there is if done in a deliberate and timely manner. The report indicates an altitude of about 600 feet was reached and there was a considerable time airborne. To identify and accomplish the drill in a deliberate manner with certainty only takes a few seconds longer.
The comment about always training for a complete engine failure on take off is a very pertinent one and I believe is led by the regulatory requirement. Generally that classic situation is handled very well since it is CHECKED on every licence proficiency check. But how many actual failures occur in exactly that manner at that time? Not a very high percentage really. All kinds of variations should be PRACTICED such as partial/slow engine failures, fire without thrust loss, fire with thrust loss, failure some time after take off such as during a turning departure and so on.
Please accept that this post is made not so much to reflect on the crew but rather as a little advice which may help someone else avoid a similar fate.

Several points need to me made about
practicing failures in a real aeroplane. Firstly the aircraft should never be placed in an irrecoverable situation by, for instance, pulling the mixture to Idle Cut Off.
Often we hear of "chopping the throttle". There is absolutely no need for rapid throttle chop....a smooth positive retardation is quite sufficient. Indeed if you "Chop" the throttle rapidly on a RR Dart powered aeroplane the prop coarsens off and the aircraft initially swings in the WRONG direction. A really spring loaded student reacting to this initial swing can present an interesting situation. Likewise the thrust lever on a DC8 was chopped so fiercely during a training take off that the engine reverser deployed with disastrous results. Seems I have wandered a little so with the final observation that just as in business corporate memory is lost so it is with aviation.

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: pterodactyl ]