PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pegasus Airlines Boeing 737-800 TC-CPF overrun runway at Trabzon. All pax okay
Old 14th Jan 2018, 16:47
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
I would not rule out a no-kidding locked wheel due to a mechanical problem with the hydraulic brake actuators/cylinders, having had it happen to me.

Jet had been written up for anti-skid problems, but the real problem was the brake actuator(s). I had a bad habit of lightly tapping the brakes shortly after touch because I ran off the end one night and after that always wanted to make sure I had brakes. So the right main locked up at about 120 or 130 knots, ground off the tire and part of wheel assembly. Heh, quite a show for the tower folks and others.

The brake actuator(s) on that wheel never released due to a mechanical problem they discovered later. As someone mentioned, at high speeds rudder was effective, and then nosewheel steering for final few knots.

So a sudden lock up could be a big surprise, especially when about to use that turnaround pad. And they may have been well to the left of centerline getting ready for that 180 turn. So I am cutting the crew some serious slack.