PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where do I put my mum?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2003, 02:00
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Penguina,

Just a quick word about landing.

If I take a first time passenger new to light aircraft flying, or someone who hasn't flown with me before, I'll explain the following:

"Whilst landing, when we are a few feet above the runway, ie very close to the runway, you *may* hear a loud buzzing sound. This is completely normal as we aim to touch down on the runway when we hear this sound. However sometimes we may touch down without the buzzing sound. This is also fine." etc etc... If they ask for more info then I'll go on to further explain.

Why? I say this since I took my sister flying many moons ago just after passing my PPL and we were above the runway when the stall warner sounded and she panicked until we had touched down (a couple of seconds later)... luckily not touching the controls.

Also, especially if there is a crosswind:

"When landing you may see the runway is not directly in front of us, it may appear slightly to our left/right. This is also completely normal because we are compensating for the effects of the wind trying to blow us off the centre of the runway. Think of a tide in the water, the air is to the aeroplane what water is to a boat. Just before landing this will be corrected so the runway will appear directly in front of us."

I generally try to explain at all times what is going on. Ie, why the sound of the engine is lower than that at take off, why we are flying past the runway (downwind) etc.

As someone else said, ask them to look for other aeroplanes, BUT they can discount anything with vapour trails. This gives them something to do and feel important to the flight.

Hope your mum enjoys the flight.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.