PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 16:24
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRDubois

Their haste may have contributed to the problem. If they had to wait a bit for clearance they might have noticed an issue. If already rolling and the issue wasn't waving a red flag in their face, they might not have addressed it as carefully as they should.

The Electra’s ailerons “droop” at less than flying speed, it isn’t until they gain authority from airflow that they nest to fair in chord. They are sloppy on the roll.

Turning (nose wheel, Rudder) and lining to centerline from a rolling entry takes skill and may cause a bit of distraction.

I think they may not have noticed aileron issues until the ailerons “came alive” and their flat climb may actually indicate that they considered an abort. Once the roll issues presented as critical, they were past the opportunity to land. Pilot would have known Roll was creepy almost instantly. I think the Roll right was uncommanded, and was not part of the aileron issue blamed for this crash.

Lockheed designed an experiment to test airflow at the aileron/flap merge. They removed the flap outboard jackscrew before measuring various airflows. Any idea why? I have a theory.