PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus procedure : ask clearance before emergency descent ?
Old 14th Jan 2018, 16:15
C.M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flightdetent , believe it or not (as I have mentioned in my second post ) the request for a descent clearance to perform an emergency descent became a procedure where I used to work before . The actual callout from the pilot flying to the PM became “ Emergency Descent - request descent “ . Whether I disagreed or not it became a procedure.
Not long after we came up with this procedure I was reading some CRARs (I believe it was for Germany ) which actually mentioned that the airspace is so congested that pilots are to advise ATC ASAP of intenting to perform an emergency descent ( no one will deny the initiation of course but it gives the controller an immediate plan on how to divert traffic immediately below you ) . By the end of the month I will have again full access to all those CRARS and check that again .
Now let me go to the Airbus thing I mentioned . It was a list of changes made to procedures ( given as sections to their manuals along with a very brief justification for the change .... one of the changes had a justification going like this “ the change is to reflect the need for pilots to request clearance when intending to perform an emergency descent especially over congested airspace... “ ... this is not the exact statement , but pretty much the nature of what it was saying . It was really bad I didn’t check the specific section it was referring to , and all attempts thereafter to locate it didn’t lead anywhere .

Last edited by C.M; 14th Jan 2018 at 19:55.