PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtours C404 crash report
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2001, 23:29
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to reply to some of the points raised, IMHO that is;

Den Dennis - I don't think you can jump to the conclusion that being left of the centreline means that the left engine had failed/ was failing. You must agree that a vast number of factors could result in being left of the centre line, including drift induced by a crosswind (as pointed out by another post), incorrect tracking of a navaid, or quite possibly due to the distraction of a 'loud bang', who knows?

parkfell - yes, maybe the EGT gauges would have helped, but you're primarily taught (and get into the mindset) of putting in the rudder to counteract the yaw and identifying the failed engine that way. The manifold pressure gauges would be the next place I would look. Remember the time scale.

fireflybob - I'm not so sure they do have to retard the lever quickly.......it's just how they've all done it to me. I agree, the slow failure of an engine would be more difficult to identify if this the way you have always been trained.

eeper - I think you'll find that all instructors cover the quadrant with a map/ board etc to help the 'realism' of you having to identify the failure without just watching which lever he pulls. As regards sim training, you will understand that sims for this (and other light a/c) are usually uneconomical for small operators, and the report touched on this. I agree that there is no reason why it could not be incorporated into the a/c training.

Mallard - I thank you for your comments, and would not want you to not air your views about the subject.

411A - Read the report. Area Juliet has replied after obviously reading the report. Any piston twin aircraft is demanding if not
flown properly at MTOW.

Airboeing - Bang from the right. Possible loss of power (momentarily, but that wasn't known at the time) from the right engine due to the possibility of water ingestion, maybe confirmed by looking at the right engine instruments (that's just my own guess), and whilst dealing with this problem the gradual loss of thrust from the left engine without the commonly associated yaw (possibly counteracted by shutting the right?). The AAIB also mention how hard it is to read a gauge with two needles, one on top of the other - one with a small 'R' and the other with a small 'L'. Isn't that enough confusing/ conflicting indications bearing in mind the time scale and lack of altitude?

Hudson - you may well have a point there.

Gaunty - I recall your posts from before, and you may be surprised that I agree that with the limitations of perf 'e' and 'c' for public transport flying, passengers should be made aware of this.

Jonty and Eff Oh - as ever, thanks for you words.

PP