PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK207 Jfk
Thread: EK207 Jfk
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2018, 05:39
Jack330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
777 up, now everything is clear, you are 100% a magenta line pilot, first because you’re obsessed with fmc, fix etc etc, second because you mention 1950’s approaches like if it’s something jurassic.
Let me explain you where is the issue..
There’s nothing bad in using EVERY aid we have for takeoff, approach, landing, circling and so on, especially when weather is marginal, as long as it’s something helpful, it’s well prepared and programmed long before and provided we make good use of it, not completely rely on it, that’s why when we trained ( a few years ago ) on maybe an md80 or 737 classic, we did hundreds of engine out, circling and visual without any extra help, without your beloved fmc and other stuff just to learn how to FLY an airplane then, as technology stepped up, we received all those amazing tools as an extra help, not as a substitute for our skills.
Contrary to what you said, I am in total favour of extra help tools when needed, like the hud that I’ve been using since 2007 but trust me, when it comes to fly a visual approach anywhere in the world, the last thing I want is to keep my head inside, especially when outside is cavok, even if I have 3 runways in front of me unless you find it difficult to recognize left center or right.
Instructors tried to teach how to use an extra help, not to be lost without it.