PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying G-registered planes on an FAA PPL
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2018, 19:56
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as I can see the only thing you actually have to do is the last item, i.e. "demonstrate to a Part-FCL examiner that they have an acquired theoretical knowledge of Part-FCL ‘Air law and ATC procedures’". I have no idea how this is done, but it doesn't seem THAT huge a requirement. It even makes sense (!) considering that both law and the finer points of ATC are different in the UK.

The "English proficient" requirement is on every FAA license issued since 2008 (I just checked mine), and for $2 they will send you a new one if yours is older than that.

I have done some UK flying on my FAA License but it was about 10 years ago, when it was a lot simpler (show up, get checked out for solo flight by an instructor, and off you went).

I imagine getting an EASA PPL is a lot more work - no doubt half a dozen written papers, probably mandatory ground school, plus the skills test which is the easiest bit of the lot.

(US pilots love to complain about the FAA but compared to every other civil aviation administration in the world they are saints).