PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I've hit my wall working in ME.
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2018, 09:18
Uplinker

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
QUALITY OF LIFE AND FAMILY LIFE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER !

Sorry to shout, but it is very easy in our industry to get caught up with the money and the big shiny jets and the uniform - I did once.

But then, some years’ ago I went through a horrible divorce - caused in part by my working hours and long commutes to work - I never really saw my family properly because I was either recovering from the previous 6 on 2 off or was sleeping ready for the next duty. I lost my house and half my pension pot. More recently, my employer suddenly stopped trading; putting us all out of a job, and it seems that despite what they say, some airlines are reluctant to employ a pilot of my age.

So I have gone from being well on the way to a comfortable living and the prospect of a well funded retirement, back to square one.

But, do you know what? Both these major catastrophes in my life have taught me that family and one’s wellbeing are the ONLY things that are important. Everything else is irrelevant.

So my advice to anyone is that if you are not enjoying your job, or the hours and management are getting you down; Resign. Do something else that you really enjoy.

Move and buy a house in the Welsh hills, buy a piano and learn to play it, learn to paint or draw and watch the sunsets or whatever, but LIVE YOUR LIFE - the money and the kudos of flying large aircraft is really not important.

There is no point spending your whole working life away from home, missing your children growing up etc., only to end up as a burnt out husk with health problems.