PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First of the Qantas branded A320s
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2018, 07:58
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No coincidence that 457 Visas are back.
Of course it is no coincidence! The airlines know supply is limited, even in Australia. The RAAF has experienced two years where applications for aircrew ran at less than 40% of historical norms. Whether that is a result of crappy foreign policy or supply is a mute point!

However,

• How many JQ NZ applications?
  • How many Jetconnect applications?
  • How many applications do Network actually get?
  • How is Qantaslink going application wise?
  • How about Rex?
  • What about the top end GA operators?
  • How about the RFDS?
It pays to have connections involved in recruiting both inside and outside Australia. In almost all of the examples I cite, there are but a handful of applications meeting the criteria as it is.

Whilst I accept that you may well be fiercely patriotic and suffered the last thirty years in unlimited supply, I did too, but with global supply being limited, the result to clear the market will be an increase in terms and conditions.

I certainly accept Neville, that the unions were asleep at the wheel with the 457 issue. If they claim they have a lobby presence in Canberra, then they are speaking to the wrong people, but the reality is that outside Australia the shortage is real, it is structural. Airlines outside Australia have recognised securing supply is very important, but other than weasel words form airline management I would expect an accelerated Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt campaign.

As CNN reported in July

Retirements at U.S. airlines will start to rise precipitously starting in 2021as the current crop of pilots turns 65, the mandated age of retirement. More than 42% of active U.S. airline pilots at the biggest carriers will retire over the next 10 years, about 22,000, according to a recent report by Cowen & Company.