PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 21:50
polecat2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FB
I read the book referred to. Its author made a contribution or two to another book, more anecdotal; 'The Call Up', he told a story about the wife of an officer who was besotted with her pet dog(s) involving he and other airmen in waiting at table while the local canine pets held a Birthday Party with Hats, Jelly and Ice Cream! He supposedly bumped into his form DI at a Service Station in the UK or something years later. The book he wrote from a personal perspective, was set in Germany at RAF Zeedorf which my brother described as identical to RAF Gutersloh. I believe the author was stationed there. I read his book circa 1976/77 and thought then that it told a rather negative if colourful story. THE corporal described as some sort of airman that time forgot, I kind of got to begin with and thought it was some sort of recurring phenomena in service life, like forgotten lifer in Southern State Penitentiary, but as I read on, the brutal 'Bull' obsessed Station Commander and the 'Corporal' seemed increasingly far fetched from my position as a teenage Air Cadet at the time. But I did enjoy it for all its over the top negative assault on service life generally.

Some years ago the author appeared in a TV documentary on National Service and mentioned the anecdote about the dog's party. I also thought the book gave a somewhat negative and over the top view of RAF life, but of course I didn't serve during the years of conscription. However at the end of the programme he did speak rather fondly of his time in the RAF.

Polecat