PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 single engine taxi out threats
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 17:05
CaptainMongo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our baseline flight planning is two engine taxi which equates to 30 pounds per minute. Single engine with APU running equals 18 pounds per minute. We average about 15 minutes taxi time for each flight across our operation. We operate about 166 319/320 aircraft. I won’t do the public math, but the yearly savings using SE across the fleet is in excess of $1 million.

That is well and good but I would leave with this thought - Safety is paramount on the flights we conduct, it is absolute and our first priority, but can operating our flight as efficiently as possible lead to an increase in safety?

Each pound of fuel you save on your flight you put in your pocket for your use on your flight if you need it. A hundred pounds on the ground, a hundred on climbout, a few directs, CI monitoring, optimum altitude cruise, etc and over the course of a flight one might save 3, 4, maybe 500 pounds of fuel. All fuel saved for your use on your flight if you need it. If you don’t need it, fine, give it back to the company but if you do need it, like I did a few months ago when the gear didn’t come down on the first try (and second try for that matter - third time a charm) I was happy that I operated my flight as efficiently as possible to that point to give me a few extra precious minutes to sort that issue out.