PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commands Direct Entry
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2003, 22:32
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the previous postings.....

I am NOT in disagreement with your postings at All! I would not like to be on a seniority list and do my job, play the game and get passed over. And I think people with qualifications and hours can do just fine. But promotion without a strict seniority list is in the eyes of the beholder.

My only observation and comment is why ANY carrier would say"to be considered for promotion (or command) one must have XXX years or XXX hours". That seems foolish.

The truth is many people and PPRUNE readers have NO idea who is going to this carrier or that carrier or what their qualifications are.

So when ANY carrier can't get (whether imagined or not) people to upgraded, they go to the outside. In the case of Emirates, their web site clearly says that you will be a F/O as an initial hire. No problem with that at all if that is the stated policy. In fact, I don't even think their application would allow one to say,"I wanna be a Captain"!

It's just hard to hit the middle of the runway from the right seat when you have been flying from the left <bfg>!

BTW, it sounds like Dubai is like Taipei without the humidity!!!! Abu Dahbi was not exactly like a charming resort in August when I was there. There are better months there, aren't there???