PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot refuelling an AS355 F version
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 09:21
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Artificial horizon:

Please please try your best to think logically about this evolution, I beg you.
This is not about EASA land Vs the world. It's not about the practicalities of operating as single pilot way out in the boon docks, it's not about having 200hrs or 20,000hrs under one's belt and it is certainly not about, one part of the industry knowing more or better than other parts.
It is plain and simple: Leaving ANY machine that is running - unattended is bad practice, plain and simple.
Leaving something that is weighing in at around one, two maybe more tonnes, with rotor blades clattering at FI is simply derelict.
There is NO excuse or example that I can think of where a pilot should keep the cab running whilst he/she hops out and refuels - NIL, NADA, NONE.

It is done by some to save time or reduce hassle.

Things go wrong normally, never mind when you push your luck leaving a hand grenade unattended.......

The questions I would be asking are:

Is this evolution essential?
Is it safe?
What would the consequences be if the helo went walk about with me spectating?
Would I lose my job?
Would I lose my business?
Would I injure someone?
What would the insurance company say?

Arty - the definition of flight is when the rotors start turning with the intention of getting airborne. Not when you lift off.

Some manuals and countries say nothing about it, others say it's not allowed. But that aside - this evolution is common sense. It doesn't require a rule or a guide. It is plain downright effing dangerous and everytime you do this, you are risking everything - your job, peoples safety, your business, your life.

Talk sense for a change, think about what you are doing here....................