PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-9
Thread: Newcastle-9
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2018, 18:20
chris1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dissapointing to see the decline in scheduled routes but to me, the airport markets itself primarily to locals so basically they are subconsciously putting the scheduled carriers off and potentially half their market (inbound pax). Let me explain...

Just look at the airports strapline - ‘YOUR AIRPORT’ which basically communicates that they are serving geordies on their bucket and spade package tours! Unbelievable to me as they are not marketing to half their market which surely must be inbound passengers, whether tourists or business. Whilst I fully understand that we are a regional airport and most passengers are Geordie tourists, surely the airport have to have bigger ambition to attract the international carriers and inbound passengers.

By now, we should be able to sustain Lufthansa to MUC and FRA and a daily service to Milan. Forget about Jet2 on these routes - I will explain why later.

Edinburgh sets a great example of how to brand as an international gateway. Their strapline alone says it all - ‘Where Scotland Meets the World’. Not saying a new strap-line will solve all the problems but it’s the basics of marketing and no I am not a marketeer - just a local businessman who wants to see the airport prosper instead of re-announcing the same old routes. Only yesterday Antalya was announced in the Chronicle!

It’s a bit like comparing Jet 2 with EasyJet or indeed Ryanair. Whilst Jet2 have to be commended for their growth and success, their whole branding is quite cheesy and, dare I say, amateur, targeting family bucket and spade tourists from the UK. This works well for them but no comparison to Easyjet who market themselves as a more sophisticated offering to both inbound and outbound markets, like the flag carriers. Newcastle needs a more sophisticated marketing proposal to open itself up to inbound passengers from overseas. It’s staring at them in the face!

On another note, it took over two hours from landing to leaving the terminal on my last EK arrival on a quiet winters day. Departing on the 6pm to GVA a few weeks ago, I was also surprised to see nearly every airside shop and restaurant was closed before 5pm. Surely as part of the lease, they should be made to stay open till say 30 minutes before the last departure? Again, this doesnt exactly set the best example of an international airport that is going places.