PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2018, 14:56
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
megan

A boost unit has a failure mode called a "hardover", where hydraulic pressure causes the boost to drive to the limit in one direction or the other. The simple remedy is to remove hydraulic pressure, which is the "release" spoken about in the radio transmission. "Release" returns control to pure mechanical, with heavier control forces. The crew thought they had a "hardover", which in one sense they did, but it wasn't caused by the boost unit driving to a limit, but brought about by a separated cable. Flown with boost units for 20,000 hours and never heard of a hardover event, not saying there has never been one.

I do not suggest “hardover”. That is your preconceived opinion based on your calcified experience, and inability to be objective. But you are on the right track and a bit hyperstatic. (Stuck).

I am suggesting that the cables were sound, that the boost unit was receiving a left roll signal. The pressure on the control valve associated with the signal input by the Captain prevented successfully selecting BOOST OFF.

It’s in the manual, have you read it?

There was no hardover. “The aircraft exhibited a gentle and continuous roll to the right.”

A hardover to Roll right would have resulted in the witnesses seeing a beautiful aircraft quickly roll onto her back.

I mentioned Lockheed and the experiment they performed to demonstrate that the only solution for cable separation was in the connector’s imprint on the cable hole in the spar.

And you accuse me of Confirmation Bias? This is a cold case, and wants the appropriate approach to challenge the findings.

The CAB report was conceived and in first draft before the sun set on the day....

I suggest you reread Danny’s command: “play the ball, not the player...”

Last edited by Concours77; 11th Jan 2018 at 15:22.