PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TR mandatory
Thread: TR mandatory
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2018, 08:48
g450cpt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's put this in perspective. You are down route and one of your company airplanes is deadheading to your location. Your wife and children have a chance to ride on the plane to visit you. Who would you rather have up front if the $h!t hits the fan and things go sideways. I for one don't want some 300 hour newbie that paid for a type rating trying to sort things out with my family in the back.

While I agree, someone has to train them, I would rather start with a FO that has some real world experience under his belt. I realize that long ago I was a 300 hour newbie but I didn't expect to jump into the right seat of a jet at that point in my career. I did the whole flight instructor thing, single pilot light twin charters, single pilot turboprops, etc... (By the way, all structured, no "cowboy stuff") When I did move on to multi pilot airplanes I had a solid foundation of stick and rudder skills, knew what CRM was, and most of all, a good attitude toward the "experienced guy in the left seat that was training me at that level. I'm pretty sure he was pleased that he wasn't starting from zero.

My 0.02 worth. Carry on.