PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHC Beaver down in Hawkesbury
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2018, 02:47
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting training in advanced aircraft control, is not dependent on aircraft type, it will give you a greater understanding of aircraft control at unusual attitudes, giving you, as a pilot, a broader skillset.

the turnback after take off obviously cannot be performed in every aircraft, i am sorry if it appears this is what i meant, but with a better understanding of flight at the edges of the envelope, and training and practice in this area, you can fly whatever your aircraft type is closer to its published limits safely.

a great, and sadly common occurance is the addition of top rudder to tighten up a turn to final, leading to the usual stall/spin scenario. but with additional training, and practice with a skilled instructor, you can be shown the effects and consequences of this first hand at altitude, and you will not be surprised if a situation comes up requiring you to tighten up a turn, giving you the skill to do it safely, knowing the traps and consequences from personal experience in training, in other words, you will know what will happen adding top rudder, and can regocnise when your doing it.

similar for the turn back, i know what my personal aircraft is capable of, and also what other aircraft types are capable of that i fly regularly, i know i would not do it in many types, and every type i fly requires a different mindset.

so, learn how every aircraft type you fly performs in the steep low/gliding descending turn, with a qualified instructor of course.