PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK's P-8s 'under threat'?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2018, 14:21
Lonewolf_50

Received 401 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Frostchamber
Yes depending on your personal preferences, any given item on order is likely to be cancelled or, if already delivered, sold off, or in the unlikely event that we get to keep it, it will be ****e. And we're all going to hell in a handcart.

Perhaps we should simply post that on a repeating loop as the standard response for anyone trying to access the mil board.
Over the course of my military career most of the stuff I flew was procured under minimum bid. We can all feel that one, can't we?

I am going to stick my neck out, TOFO, and stand by my original point, understanding all caveats regarding "we woke up today to a new political reality, and you won't be getting that kit that we've spent billions upon" such as Comanche or P-8's Predecessor as the "New MPA" ... the P-7/LRAACA. (Had a few friends who worked on that program, and who were there when the axe fell).

The program was finally cancelled by the DAB at the end of 1990, on the grounds that it had fallen behind schedule, which called for the two prototypes to be delivered in 1992. Some 123 production P-7As had been planned. This decision left the Navy without a program to replace its aging P-3 aircraft. The Boeing Update IV avionics upgrade, an important element of the P-7A, was initially to have been applied to 109 earlier US Navy P-3Cs, but in 1992 this work was also cancelled. The British Nimrod MR2P was to have been replaced by the P-7A, but cancellation of that program forced the British Ministry of Defence to issue requirement SR(A)420 for a replacement maritime patrol aircraft (RMPA).
P-8 seems to have gotten past the major stumbling blocks.