PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore Airlines Direct Entry FO
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2018, 09:51
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't SIA try to drive out the expats not too long ago?
No. As was always the case and written clearly into the expat contracts, when local pilots could replace the expats they would do so and three months notice, or pay in lieu, would be given. Sometimes the opportunity to move to a 'Local' contract was offered, this option would usually only suit a younger person as, by taking a Local contract, the housing and education allowances were lost but a degree of career security was offered. Whilst under training you were a non-revenue producer, simple as that, but once checked to line you were treated as an employee of a usually fair and sometimes generous company. SIA is a very big and financially sound company who will be around for a very long time. A batch of expat FO's who joined around 1991/2 probably wouldn't agree with me, they felt their previous experience was under valued and whilst on an expat contract had no opportunity to achieve an expat Command, for a Command they had to accept local terms, so you can expect opinions of SIA by non Singaporeans to vary quite a lot. Personally I had a very happy ten years there, but you must always aim to see the big picture. Go to work and enjoy it, get home and enjoy it, don't ever get involved in company politics.