PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2018, 23:45
Gnadenburg

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Seniority is a separate debate from what I'm really reading between the lines here.

You have a few pilots here, who want an easier pathway to undercut Australian based pilots to secure their own repatriation. It reeks of the me, me, me syndrome that is a far more momentous issue for pilots than seniority.

There is no shortage of pilots who would do a QF pilots job for less. So how is seniority and unionism not an advantage? How is seniority the enemy of the pilot?

I've sat in a legacy airline and waited my turn with seniority. I didn't have to worry about the self-promoters who would ramble on about their previous civilian or military command experience and how performance should be the basis of their own early promotion. The funny thing being, when I moved abroad to an airline with a rapid command promotion with a 50% failure rate, many of the self-promoters fell short.

There is no sound alternative to seniority and it is amusing to see those abroad suggesting otherwise !

And sorry Morno, really, you left to broaden your experience? Who have you flown for? Airline flying abroad is often very restrictive and having been a domestic Australian pilot a long time ago, generally speaking, I'd rate that experience higher. You went abroad to either make money or to secure a career path not achieavable at home.