PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost control near Sicily
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2018, 21:59
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say the degree of upset or otherwise to safe conduct of the thread headline flight coupled with that of multiple other CTA approaches that morning encountering the same problem in the exact same section on short final, depends on what you concede as an "upset".

Not only on what you concede as upset, but also on whether multiple similar problems with separate aircraft one after the other counts as one upset, or several, and whether all the crews from say 0705UTC onward that morning, and others involved in CTA operations, were appraised of the likelihood that all approaches would attract a significant probability they'd have to be binned at the same spot, as opposed to each encountering their own independent "upset" on a pot luck basis . Hopefully none arrived established on final, but blind to what had befallen others ...

I'd hazard that Nightstop inevitably put his finger on the problem some posts back - open this page in Google Chrome and right-click on the page and select Translate to English (or your fave sprog) if Italian is not your bag. The following diagram is also to be found on that MeteoEtna.com link:

A more wordy decades old document about mountain wave effects on aviation may be found here.

Last edited by slip and turn; 7th Jan 2018 at 22:09.