PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Ground incident at Pearson Airport
Old 7th Jan 2018, 03:41
Aerodon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airlines have made it very beneficial to try carry more on board and less in the hold. I have even heard an announcement to the effect 'no more checked bags or else the plane will be too heavy - carry on only please'. The regulators have turned a blind eye to the amount of weight in the overhead bins, and the quantity of 'missiles' in the event of a crash - laptops, duty free liquor etc.

I travel light and have a small bag that can easily fit under the seat or the overhead bin. I know I would spend less time screaming and swearing, and use that time to gather my goods and plan my exit. But I'm carrying one small shoulder bag, not a laptop bag, overnight bag and duty free bag.

The world has changed - you can do almost nothing without a drivers licence, passport and iPhone nowadays. Even an expired drivers licence won't get you on the next flight, never mind across the border. You try get a new passport in an overseas country. And the airlines are not known for really looking after their passengers after an incident. Now everyone is surprised that bags are a high priority in an event?

I watched the video - the flight crew is trying to get people to sit when it was pretty obvious it was time to bail? We've all seen fires like this consume an aircraft in seconds. If there was any time wasted, it was the 30 seconds or so that the crew finally decided to evacuate? Thats an eternity in a real event.

The only change I can see helping, is a 'can take' size bag and a 'must leave' size bag, and a whole lot of educating?