PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Ground incident at Pearson Airport
Old 7th Jan 2018, 00:37
Winemaker

Received 214 Likes on 84 Posts
Simple SLF here. I have NEVER heard cabin crew tell passengers they should not attempt to retrieve bags from the overhead in case of evacuation. Maybe that should be emphasized by crew during the briefing, possibly saying something like

"If there is an emergency evacuation do not attempt to retrieve bags from the overhead bins. Time to evacuate the aircraft is critical for passenger survival."

Maybe a bit explicit, but drives the point home.

Edited to add: When I'm seated I stand up (yeah, I know) and look around the cabin, specifically looking at the distance fore and aft to exits. I also try and look at the persons sitting in the exit rows and judge whether they look capable of doing their job. I also look at the aircraft emergency card to understand whether the exit hatches in particular locations are to be inboard or outboard disposed (if you get my drift). I also look over the seat backs and decide whether I am willing to climb seats rather than wait in the aisle. When my wife travels with me I advise her (with little effect) that she should just forget her purse and escape in the event of an emergency. I tighten my seat belt (used to race Formula Ford and wish they were six point) at the application of power. I also, if possible, check to see that flaps are lowered before take off and intend to shout loudly if they aren't. Call me paranoid, but I want to maximize any possibility of continuation in case of an accident. Some of us really care and actually think about things. There are studies about who survives in accidents and one of the critical attributes of survivors is the desire to live and persistence in escape. Count me in.

Last edited by Winemaker; 7th Jan 2018 at 05:20.