PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Class G Discussion Paper
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2018, 21:50
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Traffic. I am stating the facts.

Most pilots who had been trained in the system where FS communicated to all traffic OCTA wanted to keep that system. Mostly for the reason some older pilots want to keep the frequency boundaries on the charts. It was the system they had been trained in.

Even with the huge publicity of the MDX crash at the time my research of the media does not show one mention that it would have been safer if the pilots were communicating to a person with a radar screen.

Many pilots at the time of the AMATS proposals told me I was wrong and it was better to keep the duplicated FS/ATC system. That it was not necessary to communicate to a radar operator when OCTA and in radar coverage.

When I mentioned the problem of CFIT I was as told competent pilots would not fly their aircraft into the ground.

I challenge you to show me even one newspaper cutting or article dated before 1991 where Aussie pilots are questioning the fact that in good radar coverage they are forced by regulation not to communicate with the person in front of a radar screen

So this resistance to change is not new to me!