PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Anybody Learn To Fly?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2003, 14:11
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My post is going to be slightly different to those above in that I am currently learning to drive a car.

As I went to University and was living at home, there didn't seem to be much point in learning to drive as I couldn't afford to buy a car on student grants (they were the days!).

Then when I finished University I gained my first job. But then I made the "fatal" flaw in starting my flying lessons for the PPL within a month. So again I was skint but for different reasons. Six years later, I've started learning to drive. I pick up my new car next week - currently in Southampton docks, was given the new registration for it yesterday evening so I can go ahead with the insurance.

Anyway where are we? Oh yes "Can anybody learn to fly"?

In my very humble opinion, "yes".

Most people I know who learnt to fly have had the desire to learn. This desire will get one through all of the set backs that are thrown in the path of a student pilot. Landings, exams, navigation, flight tests to name but a few, all need to be overcome.

If someone would like to learn to fly just because it seems "cool" and he may be able to "pull the birds" with it, would they succeed? They may well succeed, but would they be a safe pilot? Would they want to further their understanding beyond the basics of passing the multiple guess / flight tests? Would they continue to fly or just do the PPL just to say they've done it and just fly the minimum hours for insurance purposes?

From what I see from the world of flying, those of us who go out and obtain the licence are into flying and (hopefully) all of us are always trying to push our knowledge and abilities that one step further. Trying not to get complacent in what we do. That goes with most, if not all, things in life.

In short anyone can learn to fly, but if their desire and (in some cases) heart and soul isn't really there, then as someone said before, would they turn up every week to bounce all over the runway?

By the way I found Landings to be most difficult aspect of the course, with Navigation the second. Took about ten hours before I twigged at what I was supposed to be doing in Landing and aeroplane (my instructor eventually flew down the entire length of the runway at flare attitude / height a few times). I'm not sure whether I would have continued if I were one of those just wanting to do it because its "cool".

Back to learning to drive....

I'm finding that driving is using a lot more concentration than learning to fly, even more so than during my IR course earlier this summer.

The seriousness of the lethal weapon that a car is was brought home to me in my fifth lesson... I was travelling downhill on a 40mph main road, a cyclist emerges from the left to turn right WITHOUT looking. My first emergency stop - aided by instructor of course. There was some exchange of hand gestures and beeping of the horn by my instructor! Not sure if thats a good thing to be taught though, but hey!!!!

This incident brought home to me that one has a lot longer relatively to make corrections in flying than they do at driving.

One last thing...

Although this is a pilots bulletin board, I am just wondering if I could be a little cheeky to ask if anyone has any tips on passing the DSA Hazard Perception Test. Sat mine this week and had 36/75 as the score (44/75 is the pass mark). So I have to do this AND the multiple guess again next Wednesday (incidentially the multipe guess part was passed with 100%). I was a little fed up with myself, the second exam in my life that I have failed (last one was GCSE French ten and a bit years ago).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.