PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much do helicopter pilots earn?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2003, 12:55
Rich Lee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diethelm-Excellent post regarding this matter.

Monetary compensation has little relevance to my professionalism or self-esteem. Others have often received higher compensation for equal work and risk. So what? They negotiated a better deal. Good for them!

Many of my best friends are highly respected pilots who fly for the joy of flying and no other compensation. Many are at the top of their game in business, medicine, politics or law. So what? Good for them!

Helicopter flying was, is and always will be a highly competitive occupation. It is not that much different than any other profession in that regard. There are helicopter pilots who will always make more or less than their peers doing the same thing. There will be pilots who are better connected, better looking, more articulate or of greater means than other pilots. Ability and potential do not guarantee one a high paying position as a helicopter pilot. A pilot who chooses helicopters as a career path has no special employment or compensation rights over those who fly for the challange of flight or just plain fun.

I fly helicopters to meet girls and in that sense, I have been fairly compensated so perhaps I am biased.